Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tuesday is the new Friday. Kind of. Not really.

I've decided that today, and every Tuesday to follow shall be renamed to...


INSPIRING/AWESOME/WEIRD/COOL/CREEPY/CLASSIC/SCARY/AMAZING MOVIE OF ALL TIME TUESDAY.


And I guess I'm not as cool as the other bloggers because I failed to [insert amazing alliteration here] so that the title can just flow delicately off the tongue, but I think inspiring/awesome/weird/cool/creepy/classic/scary/amazing movie of all time Tuesday sounds better because depending on what genre the movie is, you can select the best adjective and apply it as you please.

So I think my way is MUCH more enjoyable. Just saying.

Sooo, today's inspiring/awesome/weird/cool/creepy/classic/scary/amazing movie of all time is........


BAM!


The greatest movie of all time, the Little Mermaid. Classic yes, but more than that, this movie proves to be inspiring. I don't care if it's a Disney Movie because as a child, and even now, this movie remains a favorite of mine. An inspiring story about a young girl who was trapped in Maine (or underwater...) and wanted to break out and see the rest of the world and experience all the thrills, trials, and tribulations life had to offer, without the constant looming opinions and judgements being shot at her by all angles of those present her confined life.


At least that's what I think it's about now. 18 years ago I really just thought it was a pretty mermaid with red hair swimming around and singing songs. And that worked for me.


Anyways, this movie is always going to remain a classic in my heart. Despite the catchy songs and that undoubtedly 'feel good' vibe that you get from the movie, I feel as though it resonates directly with me, so much that sometimes I think it's really ABOUT me. Don't think I'm crazy. Here is why.


Ariel is the youngest of like 20 sisters, I am the youngest of 4. So I guess that doesn't really match up, but still, were both the youngest and that is a blessing wrapped in a curse at times.


Ariel is a very curious and headstrong young girl. I WAS as well. But not anymore because I've totally grown up. ;-)


Ariel had a friend named Flounder that was her sidekick. I, um...didn't have a friend named Flounder. But I had a dog named Sadie and when she wasn't being psycho I guess she was kinda like my sidekick...except for when I tried to walk her and I'd end up with grass stains on my face.


Ariel had a protective father who was worried for her future and wanted the best for her, all the while fearing the unknown and struggling with the inevitable fact of his daughter growing up, eventually knowing that she would have to make a path all her own. Also, in the scary sad scene of the movie where King Triton sees all her gadgets and gizmo's aplenty that she had collected from land, he gets REALLY mad at seeing everything and blasts it all to smithereens with his trident/pitchfork thing.


So that has never happened to me, and though I'm finding it difficult to make a direct correlation between that scene and my life, I do remember one time I went shopping and bought way to much stuff and then my Dad came home and saw everything and he didn't have a gold trident or smash everything up but the face he made was somewhat similar to King Triton's.



See? Equally just as scary.


All joking aside, anytime I think of this movie, it reminds me of my childhood. It's just one of those gems that has stayed with me, and I think it'll always give me that part of my life back, no matter how old I am. It's a classic movie and I still own the fact that I know all the words to "Part of Your World"


Maybe a karaoke rendition is in order?

No comments:

Post a Comment